The LFS temporary toolchain is going to take a while to cover completely, so I’m breaking it up into several parts for readability.
There are a couple final things to do to the temporary toolchain that will get it into a form suitable for backup. Backups will be really nice to have if things go south later on, since I won’t have to rebuild the entire toolchain again.
Stripping the temporary toolchain of debugging symbols is optional, but since my system is pretty space-constrained, I went ahead and did it. Debugging symbols are “unnecessary” according to the LFS book (presumably unnecessary for now because of the “temporary” part of “temporary toolchain”) My LFS partition was at 496,584kB (~485MB) before stripping, and was brought down to 339,992kB (~332MB) — a savings of more than twice the 70MB that the LFS book led me to expect!
Also, removing documentation can save more space, so I removed the temporary toolchain’s documentation for further space. Removing documentation brought my 339,992kB (~332MB) LFS partition down to 314,008k (~307MB). Not bad at all!
These steps leave me with nearly 7GB free on my LFS partition, which gives me plenty of room for building the rest of LFS, and possibly even BLFS.
Since I will be chrooting into a clean environment where there is no
lfs user, the LFS book recommends changing ownership of all the files I’ve built thus far to
root. This both enhances security (since no one can abuse those files who creates a user with the same ID as the now non-existent
lfs user) and makes things nice and consistent for the next stages in building LFS.
After stripping and changing ownership of the files in the temporary toolchain to root, the LFS
/tools partition is ready for backing up. As the LFS book says, “subsequent commands in chapter 6 will alter the tools currently in place, rendering them useless for future builds.” I took the hint.
The LFS book leaves the backup method to the ingenuity of the user. I used a
tar command to compress the
/tools directory into a .bz2 file and copy it to my future
/home directory (and after that, I copied it to my USB drive).
Well, the temporary toolchain is done; the rest is yet to come. Everything thus far should have built in 24 hours 28 minutes (i.e., just over a day), but actually took 30 hours 28 minutes. All those extra test suites did their damage.
[Note: Imagine at this point how glad I am to have a backup.]
I am now ready to build the LFS system!